Tuesday, August 19, 2008

D&C 88:33

I read the whole section 88, and never realized how long it was. I've focused on certain parts of this section, but never read it as a whole before Saturday. In church on Sunday, one of the speakers said something that brought me back to this section, specifically to verse 33 "For what doth it profit a man if a gift is bestowed upon him, and he receive not the gift? Behold, he rejoices not in that which is given unto him, neither rejoices in him who is the giver of the gift". I don't remember what the speaker said, but I remember what came to my mind about this verse.

I use to think about a gift as a birthday present or something someone gives you when they've thought of you. Well, I had a new look at the word 'gift'.

How do I feel everyday that I wake up? Am I happy? Am I excited for a new day? or do I roll over and think "go back to sleep, I need sleep, it's not time to wake up yet". I do the latter and perhaps that's why this verse has new meaning for me. Every day of my life is a gift from God. Yes, so......so, how am I receiving this gift? Am I rejoicing that I have another day to do something good, to repent, to become better? How do I plan my day? Do I plan my day?

I believe that if I change the way I look at each day, then I will be more grateful and more rejoicing, as the scripture says, to my Heavenly Father. I'm only promised today, not tomorrow. And as the last part of section 88 says, "Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean: cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that y may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and minds may be invigorated". As you look at the time of this post, realize that I woke up at 4:14am this morning fully awake, so I got up and decided to do something - like blog.

1 comment:

Teandra said...

Very nice. What a great way to spend your time!