Sunday, August 31, 2008

Family History

In trying to figure out how to best fulfill my calling as the Family History Consultant, I am now thinking a lot about genealogy. I recall my personal spiritual experiences that I've had, one in particular, that motivates me to continue to do my genealogy. I related my experience in a sacrament meeting once and it brings me to tears everytime I think of it. In telling my story, I created a picture. In this scene a young man is gathered with all his family members in a big room that you can't leave. Brothers, sisters, father, mother, grandmother, grandfather, cousins, aunts, uncles, greatgrandparents, great uncles, great aunts, second and third cousins and so on. At some point a person dressed in white comes into the room and tells your family that they can leave. Everyone is excited and sad at the same time. You wish that you could go with them, but you must wait. Ten years go by and another person in white comes into the room and his aunts and uncles and his grandparents all get to leave the room, but he is left to wait. Another six years go by. This time a person in white comes into the room and his cousins and their spouses and children and their children's children all get to leave the room. Oh, how he misses his family, but there is nothing he can do about it. He can't go where they are until someone on earth does his temple work. Now, it's been another four years that have gone by. Finally someone enters the room and tells him that he can leave and join his family. Oh, what great joy!! He is able to leave and be reunited with his family.
This young man's name is Joseph Payne. He is one of my 4th great uncle's (George) son. I had reviewed George's family eight years ago and had found the temple work to be completed. I sat down one night 2 years ago to review the names on the Payne family line, double checking to see what work needed to still be done. I found myself looking at George's family (12 children) and wondered why I was looking at his line when I knew the work to have been completed. I said outloud "George, why am I looking at your line? Why George?" And then, as I took a second look at the records on the internet I found that a record that had all but 2 of George's children, Hiram(who had been sealed to his grandparents) and Joseph. All of George's children had been sealed (at least to someone) except Joseph, who had died at the age of eight. The Spirit filled the room and I started to cry, "Joseph, oh, Joseph". For 25 years your family has been sealed together except for you.
So, I got things together and off to the temple with my mother, father, husband and brother. A few interesting things happened at the temple that are side notes, but suffice it to say, we ran into friends who helped to do other family names we had taken with us due to circumstances of timing that the Lord had in control. But, when we were in the sealing room, and we kneeled across the altar to seal Joseph and Hiram to their family, we were overcome by the spirit that was present. We were all brought to tears-including the men.
Redeeming the Dead is only 1/3 of what we should be doing on earth. Perfecting the saints I'm working on but could do better, Redeeming the Dead I think I'm pretty well converted to doing, and now I just need to start working on Proclaiming the Gospel. Otherwise, I'll be a little lopsided. Think of a triangle with these three parts. We need all three. Heavenly Father is already perfect. He sent his Son to redeem us, and the Spirit helps to teach us or to proclaim God's word. If I am to be like Heavenly Father then I need to work on these three points in the triangle, not just one or two.

No comments: