Yes, I've read this chapter about building up the cities many times. We had sister missionaries that had cute laminated parts to show the different layers and forts and the whole analogy thing. It was really nice. I wish I had it when I taught seminary.
Anyway, as I'm reading along about the building up of the weaker cities and how the Lamanites are shocked to see the fortifications the Nephites have done. The Lamanites even prepared themselves by getting all the shields and clothing like the Nephites. I figure if you've got the Lord on your side, you'll always be able to 'one up' your enemies. But, the thing that struck me most, again, was the fortifications. The Lamanites knew which cities were weakest and the vowed to attack them. The thought that came to me was how we all have weaknesses. We have them so we'll be humble and depend on the Lord (Ether 12:27). But, what if are weaknesses are like the Nephite cities and the Lamanites are Satan followers, who know what are weaknesses are?
Say you didn't realize you had a weakness until it pops up one day-oh, through that experience I've discovered a weakness-and you decide that you don't want to have that weakness exposed again, what do you do? You fortify yourself! You put into place several layers of protection-things that'll you do or that you'll be surrounded by or that you won't do in order for Satan's followers to not be able to penetrate. Why does it sound so easy? Because it is. There's a reason we are to review what happens in a day at the end of the day. Whether that be by journaling, prayer, or contemplation, reliving the day and looking for things that went well and things that didn't will help you to progress-climb the ladder and become a better person every day. What a great inspirational thought. I need to do better at this evaluation thing, how about you?
No comments:
Post a Comment