Since starting the New Testament a few months ago, I have fallen in love all over again with this book and I can't seem to get out of Matthew. Well, I get out of Matthew with the cross references that lead me to other parts of the New Testament, the Old Testament and the D&C. All I do is read a few verses-do some cross references then come back the next day and reread a few more verses that I've already read and it leads me to such great treasures.
Matt 11:15 says 'He that hath ears to hear, let him hear'. Something so simple, but I wanted to understand it better. The cross reference is Ezek. 33:31 which says "And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them; for with their mouth they whew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness." OOh, is this me? Do I covet things? Where's that scripture reference take me?
Psalms 119:36, but lets start at 35 & go through 37. "Make me go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight. Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness. Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity; and quicken thou me in thy way."
So good, but still continuing onto covetousness cross reference 1 Tim. 6:10
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." I didn't think I had a problem, but maybe I do....the ongoing battle between vanity and necessecity. But look at James 5: 7-11, 13
"Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman, waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.
Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.
Grudge not one against antoher, brethren, let ye be condemned; behold, the judge standeth before the door.
Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience.
Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord' that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy....
Is any among you afflicted? let him pray...."
What comforting words, what a great reminder that I am to be patient in what afflictions God has set for me and that I need to keep praying. Also to 'stablish my heart' to God.
1 comment:
What a beautiful testimony. Thank you for sharing it with me. I am lucky to have a daughter (in-law) that loves the Lord so much.
Post a Comment