There was an incident at work last Saturday where one of the cashiers at my job paged me over the intercom to her register. Only she didn't really page me, she pages 'Liz'.???? Who's that? I've already had a conversation with her the week before or so about my name as she tried to call me Liz at that time. So, as I walk toward her at the register I get close enough to remind her that my name is Elizabeth, not Liz, and she says, "Liz or Whatever, this customer needs...". I couldn't believe it. Whatever??? I have never been called, Whatever before. Well, I didn't speak to her again. Well, she was at work last night for the regular cashier and I wasn't incharge, but she still would rather call me than my boss to the register. She did use Elizabeth this time, but as I talked with myself about ignoring her-as my boss does-the scripture clearly came to my mind "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me". I pretty much felt hit upside the head, the lightbulb went off and I it clicked. Then I felt bad. How do I treat everyone? Do I look at people as if they're Christ? Would I treat Christ that way? Not just, what would Jesus do, but would I do that to Jesus? When gospel truth and lifes moments meet-it's truth spoken that cannot be denied nor forgotten.
I figure when we are upset at something, it's a moment for God to teach us a truth that we need to hear and will change how we behave. That's why teaching doctrine changes people not talking about change that changes people.
Another moment-I call in sick, and leave a message with the person the phone rolls over to. Then my boss calls me, touches base and askes that I call back before the end of the day to check in again. Oh, how upset I was. I have never in my 20yrs of working in the workforce had to call back my job at the end of the day to check in to see if I was coming back to work the next day (oh, and that we'd of course talk the next morning too). I said a prayer and asked for help to understand my boss. So, by the time 4:30pm rolled around I said another prayer and tried to open my mind when I made the call. The conversation was completely different than it could of gone, had I not been humble and open. It was pleasant; I was able to gain the perspective of my boss that I hadn't seen before and felt his genuine concern for me and to make sure he was accommodating to his boss.
Again, take the moments where anger comes in and pray, listen, and truth will be made manifest. Truth is happiness and behavior is changed.
No comments:
Post a Comment