Sunday, January 2, 2011

What we leave behind

After placing a post on my other blog and realizing why I don't record much about my life I am lead to this blog. I quickly reviewed my previous post and am realizing why Nephi said 'we write of Christ, we prophesy of Christ...so that our children may know who to look to...' something like that. If you think about what lasts through time and what is important to pass on, then I realized it is the wisdom that is given to me by the Holy Ghost to understand what I need to change in this life so that I may be more prepared for the next one.

This life is so short in comparisson with eternity, yet it is this life that will determine where we spend eternity and what we do in the eternities. As I am overwhelmed with the rich history left by my grandmother in boxes in a spare bedroom, and feel drained with the idea of writing down the events of my history, I can see why Nephi had 2 seperate writings. Any why one was shorter than the other.

I would like to leave for posterity (obviously not my own as I have none - maybe this is another reason to not wish to write my life) is what I have gleaned from The Spirit. Lessons that might help someone else to understand themselves and desire to change and come unto Christ. Little gems of knowledge.

If you knew your time on this life was ending sometime soon - you don't know when, but you have a few things to correct or change before you go, how would you live the next days-months-years of your life? You would realize as you try to listen to the Spirit and follow what the Savior says that if you haven't been doing it conciously up to this point - you won't be able to change it overnight. It does take time to make the person we are. Each word or action creates the person we are or we become. Try it. Just try it. Try to listen to the Spirit every moment of every day and see how well you fare. Would you live life a little more fully knowing it could be your last day? Would the laundry wait a little longer as you sit to play with your child that would have that moment to remember when your gone? The laundry needs to be done, but could your child help you? Be with you? Right beside you? If we are to walk where the Savior walked and do what the Savior did, then shouldn't your child be right beside you? ENJOY the moment. If you aren't then pray to enjoy the moment. Pray always, as it will help you have the heart you need to do what you need to do.

All we take with us is what we've become - and what we have on the other side is relationships. Nothing that made our house beautiful, nothing that made us look better, nothing that we might have thought mattered if it wasn't helping someone else. Love as the Savior loves - everyone. Try to understand people, what is their perspective, what experiences have made them who they are? Look at their heart if you can.

No comments: